Looking for the latest soccer marketing news? We’ve got you covered with and archive of sponsorship, branding, activations, broadcasting, and gaming news.
For more in-depth stories and coverage, be sure to visit our story roundup archive.
Table of Contents
- MLS is allowing teams to sell ad inventory on their left sleeve.
- Austin FC announced Q2, an Austin-based business, will be the naming partner of Q2 Stadium.
- Ahead of the NWSL season, Starbucks became the presenting partner of OL Reign’s Legends Campaign that recognizes female leaders in the Pacific Northwest ahead of each game.
- McDonald’s of Southern California partnered with LAFC to support the team’s eMLS gaming initiatives.
- In a record sponsorship deal for the NWSL, DoorDash signed a reported eight-figure deal to become Angel City FC’s jersey sponsor.
- Satisfi, a conversational AI company, has partnered with AEG and the LA Galaxy to provide in-app virtual assistants.
- Lay’s recently launched a global campaign for the UEFA Champions League featuring Lionel Messi, Paul Pogba, and Lieke Martens. The worlds number one snack brand looks to bring the stadium experience to an in-home environment, as evidenced by this 30-second spot.
- TikTok is now an official sponsor of EURO 2020. The social platform will work with UEFA to launch AR effects, hashtag challenges, and more to promote the tournament. TikTok will also have access to UEFA’s historical assets.
- Amateur side NY International FC developed an interesting way to obtain sponsors. For $25 you can enter a FIFA tournament where the winner gets to choose a local business to be featured on the training jersey.
Branding & Partnerships News
- Montreal has rebranded, while Chicago announced a fan-led rebrand.
- FC Dallas launched a program to aid black and minority-owned businesses.
- In advance of the new season and following the franchise’s departure from Salt Lake, the Kansas City franchise unveiled its crest. The full brand will be unveiled next season following input from fans.
- Lifestyle brand Black Arrow has joined forces with Wolverhampton to help grow the game in the U.S. and among the African American community.
- The Black Women’s Player Collective, Black Players for Change, adidas, and Musco Lighting are joining the U.S. Soccer Foundation in the creation of 12 new mini-pitches.
- If you’re into soccer-themed collectibles we’ve got some news for you! Coca-Cola has released Premier League team-branded cans. The bad news? You’ll have to go to Denmark to get your hands on them.
- With only a few months remaining until their inaugural MLS match, Austin FC recently unveiled their secondary jersey.
- Manchester City will introduce a two-tiered LED system that will revolutionize in-stadium signage and allow for campaigns to be shared across two levels.
Soccer Gaming News
- And finally, eMLS and SCUF gaming released MLS-branded PlayStation controllers.
- EA Sports reached a deal with UEFA for continued exclusivity for the UEFA Champions League and Europa League in the FIFA game franchise. EA Sports has held these rights since 2018.
Soccer Broadcasting News
- In broadcast news, Amazon is set to bid on Serie A rights in Italy, joining Comcast-owned Sky Sports and DAZN.
- Need more soccer to watch? ESPN+ added rights to Belgian Pro League. In a 5-year streaming deal, fans can expect to see three games a week.
Soccer Activation News
- Stay tuned!
Miscellaneous Soccer News
- Also in NWSL, Sacramento was announced as an expansion franchise, joining the league in 2022.
- Citing a desire to support female athletes and the women who inspired her, tennis star Naomi Osaka announced she’s now a part owner of the North Carolina Courage.
- Ahead of the SheBelieve Cup, U.S. Soccer announced the formation of an ambassador program aimed at elevating organizations positively impacting girls & women.
- Cristiano Ronaldo – maybe you’ve heard of him – is the first person in the world to reach 500 million followers across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.